I've looked at the Gridbeam system before and liked the idea, but for the
average DIY'er impractical and expensive.
Firstly, the timber used needs to be smooth finished, high quality, strong,
straight, fine grain with no knots in it.  That sort of timber is not
cheap.
Then there is the time and equipment required to drill all those exacting
holes.  You need a decent drill press and a jig to increment the timber
through the drill press.

Now consider the volume of, and time required to, paint/varnish the timber
and inside the holes.  (Small shelters are not known for their moisture
control!)  A very mind numbing job to say the least.

All this work, double if you can't buy the finished timber size and have to
rip and plane the timber yourself, for something that chances are your not
going to use the vast majority of the holes, you need to cut to length and
end up with a structure that probably will still need plywood bracing to
stop it wobbling over time.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a giant meccano set, I just
couldn't see myself trying to built my own from scratch.