go for it!! I've been leaving my test subject out in the sun every day
since I built it, and the vinyl hasn't shown any signs of wear. The contact
cement has gotten a little browner, but I can't pull or push that thing
apart. The boards will break/bend first.

I even left it on the car roof one time and drove off; got to about 20mph
before I realized what that banging noise was. The board broke as it bent
backward over the car rack. The board was cracked, but the vinyl was
perfect and the board still seems to be in good condition.

I would recommend not to pre-tape your edges, at least not the ones that
you're going to eventually cover with vinyl and cement. The tape undermines
the adhesion of the contact cement, which is more than excellent. It's as
good, if not better than the bonding of the foil to the foam, fo sho!!