I highly recommend that you do some experimentation before you begin
production. I'm having an aweful lot of trouble now that I'm working on the
loose hinges. Instead of pre-taping your edges (to avoid inadequate
adhesion), and instead of gluing directly onto bare foam, I'd suggest that
you prepare your foam edges with a coating of contact cement. Basically,
put a layer of contact cement all over your edges, let it dry completely
(overnight), then do another layer and apply the vinyl. This seems to work
out a lot better and does not cause as much bubbling and non-adhesion as
might otherwise occur.

Remember to go slowly, and have patience. If you used BFT, you'd eventually
have to spend time to replace it. Since you will not be replacing BFT down
the line, you will be spending that time now, applying a more permanent
solution. You are doing the exact opposite of the saying "never enough time
to do it right the first time, but always time to do it twice". This will
probably take twice the time upfront.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see how your project turns out!