Like many good tools, your power for "oops" may be magnified.  I love and
use ratcheting straps because I can go around the yurt and ping each
tie-down and tune them to the same "note" (tension) - and yeah, I know
there are some really cool trucker's and sailor's knots out there but I
don't do that enough to remember them when I need them :-(  so like so much
else today, I rely on gadgets.

The downside is that you can over-do it.  The mechanical advantage allows
you to apply large forces easily - which, if you do, will collapse your
walls... so just don't be silly!  If your wall or roof starts to bow in or
out you're already too tight.  Back off, check your tape and don't do that
again, OK?  ;-)

~ Dan