Thanks, Emmanuel. I'll ponder that tonight. And I'll try to convince myself that being consistent with saveOrUpdate is a good thing for merge, but I'm not hopeful. ;)

Cheers,
 Josh.

Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
No I mean saveOrUpdate
Think about how saveOrUpdate works in your case, and you will see that merge is very consistent.

Josh Moore wrote:
Emmanuel, do you mean saveOrUpdateCopy? Since saveOrUpdate doesn't do any copying of the values onto another instance.

By the way, the "dirtying" of the non-updatable field I described also holds for collections. This means that DefaultMergeEventListener does a source.load(), gets a fully valid object with proxied collections (which would later be lazy-loadable with the current values), copies _invalid_ values on top of the clean proxied collection, and sends that back to the user.

Seems counter-productive.

 Thanks,
 Josh.