Sorry, Manik, tests were failing w/ NoSuchMethodError and I saw your recent change in hibernate trunk to remove use of DefaultCacheFactory.getInstance() and assumed the method was gone. My bad :-(

Perhaps problem is loss of generics info in the class file?

2.1.0.GA:

public static <K, V> CacheFactory<K, V> getInstance()

3.0.0.CR1:

public static DefaultCacheFactory getInstance()

Failure I see is:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jboss.cache.DefaultCacheFactory.getInstance()Lorg/jboss/cache/CacheFactory; at org.hibernate.cache.jbc2.builder.SharedCacheInstanceManager.createSharedCache(SharedCacheInstanceManager.java:193)

I don't remember exactly how I tested this yesterday, but messing with it today, I can reproduce by:

1) revert pom in my checkout of the 3.3.1 tag so it uses JBC 2.1.0.GA
2) revert any compiled classes back to the original 3.3.1
mvn -Dmaven.test.skip.exec=true clean install

3) change the pom so it uses JBC 3.3.0.CR1 and JGroups 2.6.5
4) run the testsuite

mvn -Ptest test

5) force a new compile and then retest:

mvn -Ptest clean test

Problem is people using a 3.3.1 binary don't get to recompile. ;)

Manik Surtani wrote:
Weird, getInstance() was removed in early ALPHAs, and was replaced again pretty quickly - in 3.0.0.BETA1, even.

http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/JBossCache/core/tags/3.0.0.BETA1/src/main/java/org/jboss/cache/DefaultCacheFactory.java?r=6676