Hi,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:37:42AM +0200, Vlad Mihalcea wrote:
> I see that the production and the staging are out of sync now and trying to
> merge the upstream production leads to a merge commit.
>
> How do we normally handle the cases when the production branch history
> diverges from staging?

You force push production to staging. There is no strong requirement for
staging being
in sync with production. Staging is also there to test changes in the sites L&F
or HTML
fixes. It is quite common that staging and production are out of sync.

For that reason it is important that when you want to blog you base your work
on top of
production and not staging. Staging is just a convenient place to try changes
to the site.
A forced push is perfectly ok.

Personally I always pull from production and create "blog" branches from this
branch.
Then when I want to preview the changes life, I do a forced push to the staging
branch.
If I am happy with the result I push to production.

--Hardy