Hello everyone,

I just deployed a GitHub bot on our infrastructure. The purpose of this bot
is to run basic checks on pull requests, so that contributors know right
away if something needs to be changed, without having to wait for a human
to take the time to review. And to avoid oversights for some boring, but
nevertheless important rules.

You can see a few failing checks in this playground project:

   -
   https://github.com/yrodiere/hibernate-github-bot-playground/pull/6/checks
   - https://github.com/yrodiere/hibernate-github-bot-playground/pull/6

Pull requests failing these checks can still be merged ; the checks are
only here to help, not to enforce anything. So if you need to merge a few
commits that do not mention a JIRA ticket (e.g. changes in github
workflows), you can still do it.

The checks are obviously very simple. At the moment, we check:

   - That the pull request title has at least two words
   - That the pull request title doesn't end with a dot or ellipsis (they
   are a sign that the title may be incomplete)
   - That every commit message starts with a JIRA ticket key.
   - That the pull request title/description mentions all JIRA ticket keys
   mentioned in commit messages.

We can definitely work on adding more checks, or tuning the existing
checks. Please create issues here:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-github-bot/issues

The bot is currently only enabled on Hibernate Search and Hibernate ORM. If
you want to enable it on other projects, please follow instructions here:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-github-bot/#enabling-the-bot-in-a-new-repository

To anyone interested, the bot was implemented using Quarkus and Guillaume's
GitHub extension: https://github.com/quarkiverse/quarkus-github-app

Cheers,

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate Team