P.S. ... JIRA? what is JIRA? I hope I'll find what it stands for on the site...

JIRA is http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/secure/Dashboard.jspa

It's our issue-tracker for bugs, patches, improvements, voting etc.

A comment to your patch:

I very much welcome this patch, especially because it allows easier use of Hibernate with respect to legacy beans.

Just one wish: I like the search order idea, it makes it easier to use.
But we should also have the possibility to specify the strategy very explicitly for each class and even property. This is needed when you
have a mixed blessing of legacy POJO's and Good POJO's ;)

class LegacyA {
  int a;
  void setA(int newa) { doSomething(); a=newa; }
  int getA() { return a; }
}

class GoodA {
  int a;
  void setA(int newa) { a = newa; }
  int getA() { return a; }
}

If I got these two classes in my project and I want fieldaccess for LegacyA and propertyaccess with GoodA - how should i specify that with
the current patch ? As I understand it it will either use fieldaccess for all or propertyaccess for all...and that ain't what i want ;)

Best regards,
Max