Gavin King wrote:
Re: [Hibernate] Problem with polymorphism="explicit"

This is ALL as expected. You can not load the same database row as two
different objects. That is pathalogical.

Isn't this exactly what the Lightweight Class pattern is supposed to accomplish?

Can I open a feature request to have Hibernate know how to automatically upcast an object from a parent class to its subclass if it has already been loaded as the former?

Thanks for the info, I've added it to the Lightweight Class design pattern.  BTW, could someone add a link from section 4.1.3 in the Hibernate doc where it talks about the polymorphism attribute and lightweight classes to the design pattern page at http://hibernate.bluemars.net/41.html).

Thanks,
-Mark