I've added a section in the migration guide on this issue. http://hibernate.org/250.html

I don't feel much for hacking hibernate to fix other products
errors.

-max

BEA has a history of users prepending to the classpath. For example, here is
how users are told to configure the latest WebLogic to work with their oldest
sqlserver driver
(http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/mssqlserver4/install_jmsq4.html#413811):

Microsoft SQL Server is bundled with your WebLogic Server distribution.
For Version 7.0 and 2000, the weblogic.jar file includes the Micrososft
SQL Server classes. No further steps are required. However, if you are
using Version 6.5, you must pre-pend the mssqlserver4v65.jar file in the
classpath as follows:

set CLASSPATH=%WL_HOME%\server\lib\mssqlserver4v65.JAR;
    %WL_HOME%\server\lib\weblogic.jar;%CLASSPATH%

In the past I've seen external needs that required such a prepend to get around
BEA's webservices.jar. I think BEA is stuck supporting people prepending to the
classpath.

However there is a major issue for Windows environments. Because of limits on
the length of registry keys, the CLASSPATH argument needs to be kept short in
order to run WebLogic as an NT Service.
As a result many shared production environments don't let individual
applications touch the startup classpath. I would think it would be best if we
could find a way to make the fix look like a patch rather than an application
library, as this would yield less resistance in complicated deployment
environments.

_evan