Do you think we could and should support the ANSI SQL style periods and temporal operators (overlaps, during, before, after, etc.) in a portable way?

from Contract c where [c.effectiveStartDate, c.effectiveEndDate] overlaps (:start, :end]

(Unfortunately, Java has no Period or Interval class that we could create a standard Hibernate Type for.)

You might find http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/ usefull for this. It provides Period and Interval.

---
Mario