So I've been looking and thinking about this ability to define filter
conditions on <many-to-many/> such that they apply to the associated
table (not the just association table, which is what we have now).  So
the current thinking here is to allow another <filter/> within the
<many-to-many/>; something like:

<set ...>
    <key.../>
    <many-to-many...>
        <filter.../> <!-- applies to the associated entity table -->
    </many-to-many>
    <filter.../> <!-- applies to the association table -->
</set>

This actually brought up to my mind an older discussion regarding the
ability to define that filters defined on an entity should apply to
collections in which it is the element.  One way to solve both of these
would be something like:

<set...>
    <key.../>
    <many-to-many.../> <!-- or one-to-many -->
    <filter.../>
    <apply-entity-filters/>
</set>

In this approach you'd lose a little bit of the ability to control which
filters applied to the collection from the entity definition, but I
guess I'm asking whether that is really such a bad thing.  Also, the
semantics of <filter/>s nested under the various collections would still
be slightly different between <one-to-many/> and <many-to-many/>.  Or do
we need the capability to do both?

Note that use of <apply-entity-filters/> solely would still not resolve
the need to be able to define where criteria on the many-to-many
associated table (i.e. <many-to-many where="..."/>)...