On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

This complexify the annotations (user experience, not the binding code), so I'm wondering whether I should allow this kind of structure or not.

Also check: http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/ HHH-539

Yep, used it recently for a customer who had a composite primary key with some fields also part of a composite foreign key (would need duplicate column mapping):

<set name="feeAssociations" lazy="true" cascade="none" table="RP_FEE">
<key>
<column name="RP_ID" />
<column name="PROP_ID" />
</key>

<composite-element class="FeeAssociation">
<many-to-one name="feeElement" class="com.test.FeeElement">
<column name="FEE_ID"/>
<formula>PROD_ID</formula>
</many-to-one>
<property name="feeInclusiveSetting" column="FEE_INCL_CD" />
</composite-element>

</set>

It's used as a literal join condition.