I have been using hibernate annotations and have to say I'm thorougly impressed. Don't know what hibernate implements for its caching but I've written an ultra light weight and stunted Map like implementation for our object cache lookup in Drools. I blogged it when I first wrote it, with benchmarks against other similar implementations, and its received several updates since. It uses a fraction of the memory of other systems and is faster in every situation.

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/mproctor/archives/000890_primitive_map_implementation_and_benchmark_comparisons.html
http://cvs.drools.codehaus.org/viewrep/drools/drools/drools-core-3.0/src/main/org/drools/util/PrimitiveLongMap.java?r=HEAD

Its only useful for int/long lookups, but feel free to rip if you find it useful.

Mark