My point is that we should fix the user in this case, not our code ;-)
Less code, less maintenance. It's like the session open check in a finalize. Was a good idea in theory, but with bad impacts in practice.

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

OTOH, this will consume some extra CPU time for nothing since the GC will do that job anyway.

is sf.close() cpu critical ? Even with a clean up it shouldn't be bad, or ?

/max

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

Hi guys,

Any reason why we don't empty all the collections we are holding onto in the sessionfactory ? Are we just letting that be up to the garbage collector to handle or how ? :)

It is not a memory leak as the garbage collector will get them when the user actually lets go of the sessionfactory (sf = null), but it could probably save us some forum argumenting since a profiler will list the sessionfactory as a leach even after sf.close() has been called.