I'm looking at code from both Hibernate 3.1 and the latest NHibernate code and they seem to share a behaviour that I'm curious about. I think it has a rational explanation, but I'm unable to discover what it is.

Hibernate seems to evict a collection from the cache whenever an update is made to the collection. What I find strange, however, is that it doesn't update the collection in the cache with the new contents of the collection while it has it available.

The end result of this is that any collection modified during one session will be read from the database during a second session, no matter what the cache settings would be.

Is there any reason that the collection actions couldn't update the cache with the new collection instead of doing a full eviction? I'll admit that my understanding of the caching model of Hibernate is still young and I might have overlooked something completely obvious.

Thanks,
Matt.