Anwar: Where are the promised reforms?
Arfa’eza A Aziz -

For all that he is abroad frequently these days, former deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim keeps a constant eye on the pulse of politics and administration back home.

He expressed his thoughts on a wide range of issues during a brief interview at his residence in Kuala Lumpur yesterday, as malaysiakini caught up with him.

Anwar, who had just returned from leading a Parti Keadilan Rakyat delegation on a working visit to Turkey, took a critical view of the tenure to date of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

He also reacted to former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s allegedly defamatory remarks about him, over which he has sent a letter of demand seeking and apology and RM100 million in compensation.

Malaysiakini: You’ve been meeting a number of key political and community leaders abroad. Many feel this is a way for you to continue remaining relevant in the political scene. Is this a fair comment?

Anwar: My main task is lecturing at the John Hopkins University. But I have been invited to attend forums and conferences. Of course now I am very selective because I’ve received a large number of invitations. I’m not desperate about attending all the conferences. I have declined many. But some are very important. For example, next week there is one organised by AccountAbility (the London-based Institute of Social and Ethical Accountability) and I’ve been asked to deliver the keynote address together with (ex-Irish president and former UN Commissioner for human rights) Mary Robinson.

I’ve taken the opportunity not only to share whatever limited experience I have, but also to benefit from the vast research, studies and recommendations.

After that I’ll be going to Sarajevo where there will be a lot of major programmes, and then to Prague where (former Czech president and human rights activist) Vaclav Havel - a highly respected voice of conscience in Europe - has organised a forum. He suggested that I participate. I believe that I will benefit a lot from interacting with the other participants (and learning from)
their experience, their consistency in fighting for human rights.

Other than that I will be here in Malaysia..

How much longer will you lecture at John Hopkins and Oxford? When are you coming back for good?

My tenure as professor ends next May. I have told them that I have no intention of continuing but will keep my options open. I have told them that I have work to do in Malaysia...the sooner the better. Most of my lectures will end in December which means I will have fewer classes and lectures... and will back in Malaysia by then, not withstanding the constraints and restrictions.

Right now, there is a very strong campaign by the foreign affairs ministry and the (police) special branch among Malaysian students abroad. I have been told that they have been warned and threatened not to attend forums or talks in which I’m involved.

(Malaysian) officials are also pleading with foreign governments not to invite me - some have confirmed this. I guess they have not been successful because I’ve been getting far too many invitations. Probably those that I decide not to attend, I can pass it to them (the government) to attend. (laughs)

Do you think that you are still perceived as a threat?

Whether or not I am a threat to them is immaterial. You must have a certain standard of decency. You talk about Islam but you don’t respect human rights. You talk about Islam but you don’t even allow the people to have a decent livelihood. I mean a prime minister told me: ‘What is this? They took away your pension, they don’t allow you to work in your country and still they talk about Islam.’

Are you criticising Islam Hadhari? Is it not inculcating the tenets of democracy as provided in Islam?

As I said before I am not totally against it. If Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi (photo) wants us to understand and participate, I would have no objection. But what about corruption? What about those who are detained under the ISA (Internal Security Act)? What about the media which is not free...the real spirit and teachings of Islam are not there.

How do you know your government or your leadership is responsible and that you are doing the right thing or not? You (should) allow some latitude...some democratic spirit. But here you control newspapers, you appoint some lackeys to monitor the media who consider themselves giants but are actually dwarfs with small minds who are unable to articulate....so they are afraid how readers would take information.

I know for a fact they have been very active in lobbying and campaigning, asking people to withdraw from contesting. It reflects small minds....a government with billions at its disposal doesn’t need to resort to such tactics.

Do you think Pak Lah is behind all these campaigns?

I hope not. But he has to make the necessary corrections. In the first year, he may say he does not know but now that two years have gone by, he should know.

Let’s talk about Mahathir. You said you were surprised to hear him make those allegedly defamatory remarks. Were you really surprised? Did you really not expect him to repeat his words?

Yes. For a man in his 80s, I did not think that he would show so much rancour...so much enmity. I’m in my 50s. I was assaulted under his stewardship, in his custody, but decided not to proceed with or prolong the case. It’s unfortunate because I have no intention to proceed in a personal fight with him. It just shows the vendetta of that man. It also proves that he was behind the entire mechanism of political conspiracy against me.

So now you are taking it to court?

And I have enough grounds (to do so), mind you. The (legal) action against him is to show why he chose to do and say what he did. (Which was) to cover the corruption, the squandering of billions, nepotism. And all these will, of course, surface during the case.

Mahathir once said that you were almost like a son to him. Surely there is another way to settle this...

I was assaulted. I was jailed. But he seemed unsatisfied with my suffering. People have asked me what I would say to him and I have taken a very conciliatory step by restricting my criticism against him on issues of policy.

I have never stooped to personal criticism or attacks. For example on the issue of APs (Approved Permits), his statement showed complete hypocrisy on his part. It was done by him (and) under his tutelage. I have challenged this publicly, but the compliant media would not report (what I said). I said I remember taking it up with him and I said it must be investigated because so many are involved. I mean why did he take it up? Was it to protect Proton? Or was it to protect his interests or his family’s interests? I think (International Trade and Industry Minister) Rafidah (Aziz) deserves criticism for sure, but I don’t think she is the issue. The issue is corruption, lack of transparency, abuse of power and the system that continues the same method of squandering.

And Pak Lah seems reluctant to make changes and reform the system set by the previous regime...?

This is certainly surprising. I mean you know that the system is blatantly abused and clearly corrupt but all these are forgiven by the old regime and now by the new regime. All in the name of protecting bumiputeras. (Abdullah) has promised (reforms) and some people still believe that he will deliver, and I sincerely hope that he will.

But surely time has run out for him to prove...

He has lost two years. But I just hope that something can be done because things are getting worse. Over the past two years, the media and corruption have gotten worse. And the APs - apart from the publicity and excitement - apportioning the blame only to Rafidah when you should apportion the blame to the system and the leadership.

Let’s talk about your working relationship with the opposition. There seems to be doubts among PAS members that you will stay committed to (ooposition coalition) Barisan Alternatif? They seem to think that you are sending mixed signals about your political future.

There are always some people (who will think so). But I don’t have any problem working with the PAS leaders. They are very positive. They show that they are earnest and I am comfortable with them. I don’t see an issue here.

What do you think of PAS’ efforts to build a softer image?

I think it’s a right effort. People can read it in so many ways politically, but I think it is the right thing to do. It’s not a matter of creating a softer image but to portray what Islam is all about... that it is relevant with changes in time, its message is a moderate one and that it has to learn to engage not only Muslims but other races and religions.

New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB of free storage!

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in any way reflect the official views of Hidayahnet unless sanctioned or approved otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from Hidayahnet, you may wish to get a daily digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the title "change to daily digest".

Islam video Islam book Islam matrimonial
Islam and the west Islam koran Islam

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS