Liputan berita dalam akhbar The Star 21 Dis 2005 agak
memeranjatkan. Dr Chua Soi Lek , Menteri Kesihatan
Malaysia secara terbuka membidas segelintir ahli
Majlis AIDS Malaysia sebagai sombong, berlagak pandai,
dan memperlekehkan kepakaran pegawai-pegawai
Kementerian Kesihatan.

Apa yang menariknya Dr Chua Soi Lek menyatakan, Marina
menggesa supaya program pemberian kondom dan jarum
suntikan percuma patut dibuat secara senyap dahulu,
kalau berjaya barulah diumumkan. Sedangkan Dr Chua
pula berpendapat ianya harus dimaklumkan kepada orang
ramai untuk mendapat sokongan daripada semua pihak
termasuk daripada kumpulan agama.

Sedih mendengarkan kenyataan Dr Chua, seorang bukan
Islam lebih prihatin untuk mendengar maklumbalas
daripada golongan agama, sedangkan Marina sendiri
orang Islam hendak membuatnya secara senyap-senyap.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp

MarinaÂ’s criticism shocking, says Chua

BY ELIZABETH LOOI

KUALA LUMPUR: Health Minister Datuk Dr Chua Soi Lek
has hit out at outgoing Malaysian AIDS Council
president Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir for criticising
his public announcement on the harm reduction
programme to fight HIV/AIDS.

Chua said he was appalled to learn that Marina had
slammed the ministry for announcing the programme,
which would see a free distribution of condoms and
needles to drug addicts.

“I am shocked with her behaviour because she was one
of the first few people who called to thank me and to
support the programme.

“She said 'thank God, we have been waiting for so long
for a harm reduction programme',” he said yesterday
when commenting on Sunday's Mingguan Malaysia
interview with Marina.

Marina said in the interview that the programme should
be announced only after it was proven to be successful
and that it should be quietly implemented while
educating society.

Chua, however, said it would be impossible to carry
out the pilot project discreetly, as it involved over
100,000 people and it needed support from all
quarters, including religious groups.

“We also have to ensure that those involved in the
pilot project received training and exposure before we
run the programme nationwide.”

Incoming MAC president Prof Dr Adeeba Kamarulzaman
also sat on his committee, he said.

He also said the public announcement was in response
to the Prime Minister's call for transparency in
government policies.

Chua hit out at the council for behaving like a
“know-it- all” NGO.

“They know all. They are the best,” he said. “They use
words that are insulting and derogatory to my
officers. I've been tolerating this for quite some
time.”

He said the reason the ministry and the council failed
to foster a close relationship was probably due to the
arrogance of some officers from the council.

“What they know is the best. What my people know is
second best,” Chua said.

In a two-page press statement yesterday, the council,
without referring directly to Marina's remarks, said
that since the council started 13 years ago, it had
worked closely with the Health Ministry in various
programmes and it looked forward to forging an even
closer relationship with the Government.

The council said a strong foundation was being laid
between the two parties to ensure the success of the
needle and syringe exchange programme.

“We would like to stress that as a non-profit,
umbrella organisation which facilitates activities of
its 40 affiliates working in HIV/AIDS education,
prevention, care and support for people living with
the disease, the success of our programmes rely on the
strong partnerships forged with government agencies.”

 Sudi-sudi layari blog saya di waghih.blogspot.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of Hidayahnet unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from Hidayahnet, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links