CREDIT CARDS – BEWARE

Good to take note of...

Be sure to read 'Scene 3'

SCENE 1.

This is a new one. People sure stay busy trying to cheat us, don't they?? A
friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker. After
the  workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open, and thought to
himself, "Funny, I thought I locked the locker. Hmmmmm."

He  dressed  and  just  flipped  the  wallet to make sure all was in order.
Everything looked okay - all cards were in place.

A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of $14,000!

He  called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that
he  did  not  make  the transactions. Customer care personnel verified that
there was no mistake in the system and asked if his card had been stolen.

"No,"  he  said,  but then took out his wallet, pulled out the credit card,
and  yep  -  you  guessed  it  – a switch had been made. An expired similar
credit  card from the same bank was in the wallet. The thief broke into his
locker at the gym and switched cards.

Verdict:  The  credit  card  issuer  said  since he did not report the card
missing earlier, he would have to pay the amount owed to them. How much did
he  have  to  pay for items he did not buy? $9,000! Why were there no calls
made  to  verify the amount swiped? Small amounts rarely trigger a "warning
bell"  with  some  credit  card  companies. It just so happens that all the
small amounts added up to big one!

SCENE 2.

A  man  at  a  local restaurant paid for his meal with his credit card. The
bill  for  the meal came, he signed it, and the waitress folded the receipt
and passed the credit card along.

Usually,  he would just take it and place it in his wallet or pocket. Funny
enough,  though, he actually took a look at the card and, lo and behold, it
was the expired card of another person. He

called the waitress and she looked perplexed. She took it back, apologized,
and hurried back to the counter under the watchful eye of the man.

All  the  waitress  did  while  walking  to  the counter was wave the wrong
expired  card  to  the counter cashier, and the counter cashier immediately
looked  down  and took out the real card. No exchange of words --- nothing!
She took it and came back to the man with an apology.

Verdict:  Make  sure  the  credit cards in your wallet are yours. Check the
name on the card every time you sign for something and/or the card is taken
away for even a short period of time. Many people just take back the credit
card  without  even looking at it, "assuming" that it has to be theirs. FOR
YOUR  OWN SAKE, DEVELOP THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CREDIT CARD EACH TIME IT
IS RETURNED TO YOU AFTER A TRANSACTION!

SCENE 3:

Yesterday  I  went  into  a pizza restaurant to pick up an order that I had
called  in.  I paid by using my Visa Check Card which, of course, is linked
directly to my checking account.

The  young  man behind the counter took my card, swiped it, then laid it on
the  counter  as  he  waited  for  the  approval,  which is pretty standard
procedure.  While  he  waited,  he  picked  up  his  cell phone and started
dialing.

I noticed the phone because it is the same model I have, but nothing seemed
out of the ordinary. Then I heard a click that sounded like my phone sounds
when  I  take a picture. He then gave me back my card but kept the phone in
his  hand  as  if he was still pressing buttons. Meanwhile, I'm thinking: I
wonder  what  he is taking a picture of, oblivious to what was really going
on.   It then dawned on me: the only thing there was my credit card, so now
I'm paying close attention to what he is doing.

He set his phone on the counter, leaving it open. About five seconds later,
I heard the chime that tells you that the picture has been saved.

Now  I'm  standing there struggling with the fact that this boy just took a
picture  of  my credit card. Yes, he played it off well, because had we not
had  the  same  kind  of  phone,  I  probably  would  never have known what
happened.   Needless  to  say,  I  immediately  canceled that card as I was
walking out of the pizza parlor.

All  I  am  saying is, be aware of your surroundings at all times. Whenever
you are using your credit cards, take caution and don't be careless. Notice
who is standing near you and what they are doing when you use your card. Be
aware of phones because many have a camera phone these days.

When  you  are in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress brings your card and
receipt  for  you  to  sign,  make  sure  you  scratch the number off. Some
restaurants  are  using  only  the  last four digits, but a lot of them are
still  putting  the  whole  thing on there. I have already been a victim of
credit  card  fraud  and, believe me, it is not fun. The truth is that they
can get you even when you are careful, but don't make it easy for them.

FORWARD THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN THINK OF.

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in any way reflect the official views of Hidayahnet unless sanctioned or approved otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from Hidayahnet, you may wish to get a daily digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the title "change to daily digest".

Recommended sites:
Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia  : http://www.abim.org.my
Jamaah Islah Malaysia          : http://www.jim.org.my
Radio Islam Kuliyyah           : http://www.kuliyyah.com