Seminar not violating PM's directive
Claudia Theophilus
Aug 11, 06 11:27am

About 300 Islamic scholars, leaders and
representatives of local Muslim groups will converge
in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow for a national seminar on the
mounting challenges facing the ummah (community).

The one-day gathering entitled 'Challenges against the
Rights of Muslims' at Hotel Plaza is organised by the
14-member Allied Coordinating Committee of Islamic
NGOs (Accin).

"It is by invitation only. We've invited the state
religious affairs department officers and muftis,"
organising committee chairperson Yusri Mohamad said
when contacted.

"The seminar was initially scheduled for March or
April but was postponed twice before being finalised
for Saturday," he added.

Speakers Dr Abdul Aziz Bari will provide the
constitutional aspect, senior lawyer Zainur Zakaria
will touch on the implications while former Accin
chairperson Mustapha Ma and Jamaah Islah Malaysia
president Zaid Kamaruddin will talk on defending
Muslims' rights.

Touchy topic

Open discussions on religious issues remain a touchy
topic in plural Malaysia where Islam is the official
religion and the freedom to practice other faiths is
guaranteed by the Federal Constitution.

On July 25, Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
ordered all such discussions to cease immediately
following strong protests against public forums by the
13-member Article 11 coalition currently campaigning
for constitutional freedoms of Malaysians' to be
upheld.

Muslim groups lauded Abdullah's directive while
Article 11 said they were seeking a meeting with
Abdullah but he has yet to respond.

Asked if the seminar was in violation of the
directive, Yusri, who is Muslim Youth Movement (Abim)
president and currently Accin chairperson, said it was
part of the ongoing awareness programme conducted by
Abim.

"Discussions will also revolve on issues related to
Articles 11 and 121(1A) of the Federal Constitution,"
he said.

Asked if the interfaith commission (IFC) proposal will
be discussed, he said that was not part of the topic
for the panel discourse.

"We hope no one raises the interfaith commission issue
but we can't help it if someone does. As far as we are
concerned, that issue is settled after the government
shelved it," he explained.

Yusri said the aim was to uphold and protect the
Islamic faith and belief among Muslims.

"We want to find a formula that can help maintain a
harmonious relationship between the Muslims and
non-Muslims in our country," he added.

The main concern, he said, was over the erosion and
fragility of Muslims' faith in the era of materialism
that is filled with immoral activities.

Abdullah shot down the IFC proposal on March 24 last
year to assuage the fears of Muslims who felt that the
move threatened the special status of Islam as
Malaysia's official religion.
For details about the confusion as written in STAR
today regarding if the Seminar is violating or not
PM's directive, please call Azwira at ABIM office as
follows:

Sekretariat ABIM Pusat
Anjung Rahmat
Batu 6, Jalan Gombak
53100 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 603-6188 0300
Fax: 603-6189 6700

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.abim.org.my

http://mail.yahoo.com

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of Hidayahnet unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from Hidayahnet, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".

Recommended sites:
Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia  : http://www.abim.org.my
Jamaah Islah Malaysia          : http://www.jim.org.my