it's a good thing you asked.
I let my nails (well not my nails personally, but the specimen nails) soak in 20% ammonium hydroxide or 20% sodium hydroxide for at least 1 hour (sodium hydroxide works better, but whatever you can get). Then I rinse the blocks in running water for 2-3 minutes, then place in formalin for normal processing. When cutting, I use positive slides with a waterbath filled with distilled water (if you use an adhesive, you will be defeating the purpose of the charged slides) cut at 4 microns and place in an 80 C oven for 15 minutes. Make sure that the slides are completely dried before beginning staining (if the slides are still a little wet, I put them in front of a small fan to blow off all the water). My lab performs at least 10 blocks per day and we don't have problems with the H&E or the PAS/fungus. Hey, that's why they call me Joe, the Toe.

JTT
----- Original Message ----- From: "Godfrey Guerzon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:54 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Nails

We are having problems getting nail sections to stick to the slide. They almost always fall off the slide during H&E staining. We use plus slides and various adhesives - sta-on, hairspray, etc. with no success.

Is there anybody that can help me by sharing their secret method to get nail sections survibe H&E staining without falling off?

Please help!!!!

Thanks.

Godfrey