Cindi Robinson asks:

>>We are currently using 10% formalin fixation on our bone marrow cores.  We
>>fix for 2 hours minimum prior to decal.  We are using Immunocal from Decal
>>Corp. for 2-4 hrs followed with processing overnight in VIP.  Cores are still
>>crunchy upon sectioning and we are doing surface decal for up to 30 min. Our
>>paths want cores turned out within 24 hrs following procedure. Any
>>suggestions?<<

An ordinary decalcifier (such as Decal Corp's Decal, or several others
- just don't use nitric acid) should suffice, and will decalcify
marrow cores in an hour or two. Bone marrow specimens obtained after 2
PM should be processed the following day. Would your pathologists and
oncologists consent to this compromise? - This is a matter on which,
in my experience, pathologists and oncologists don't communicate with
each other very well.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN
In "commUnIcate", the "U" comes before the "I".