Histonetters: I have been doing muscle enzyme histochemistry since 1984 and
have yet to find anything that works as well, with consistant results, as
isopentane.  Using it safely under a hood and kept in the explosion proof frig
(no exposed electric parts that could arc) can be accomplish. I am still here
and have not blown up the building or colleagues, not had liver or kidney
damage. That being said...there are still times it cannot be used...( like when
you need to freeze in an OR....no iopentance can go there. So we have found,
with sugfficient practice, you can get almost as good results by wrapping the
sample in foil and placing directly into liquid nitrogen, or dusting well with
talc (with aluminum)...like flouring your chicken before frying. It takes some
practice to get this to work with little - to no artifact...but, it is
possible....and provides an alternative technique for those times when
isopentane is just not possible.