Begin forwarded message:

From: Donna Harclerode <erid...@cox.net>
Date: January 6, 2009 8:27:14 PM PST
To: histonet-requ...@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Microtome Cutting Safety

Anyone know of a paraffin microtome that you can section WITH the knife guard in position? I have always used forceps to keep my fingers safe, but some techs are harder to convince to do this . I figured if anyone knows they would be on this list. I tried the Leica RM2255 (both in automated and manual mode) and I could sort of section a couple small blocks with the guard up, but it was not going to work with anything except perfect processed small blocks and not well for those.

Any opinions on the safety automated versus manual microtomes? I adore automated cryostats (Leica 3050 is my favorite) , but I can not figure why use an automated paraffin microtome. Logically I always figured an automated can do more damage, but really have no facts.

Thanks in advance,

Donna Harclerode, HT, HTL, SLS, (ASCP) QIHC