Thanks for posting this.I just couldn't help commenting on this post because as
a working histologist,  I have tried to convince managers in the past who have
tried to recituify the need for specimen tracking in histology, and the general
situation with very time consuming, tedious and inaccurate manual transcription
steps in the effort to create tracking and not have to buy anything. I have
printed off information from vendor websites, showing that middleware was not
always needed, and presented this information to them, but they just don't
believe it. Lack of understanding I think, caused them to instead go with
manual the manual processes to create a "paper trail". Even in this day and
age, people are surprisingly afraid of, and unaware of technology. In my
experience, these manual processes are marginally effective at  best, and of
course moved the process away from efficiency and reliability, not to mention
frustrated employees who are already struggling to get their work done with
time pressures and staffing constraints. My position has always been that
computer systems are very good at some things, such as repetitive information
processing, and they do not get tired, transpose numbers etc. Please use them
for this!You cannot check a process step which introduces humam errors of
oversight and transcription with another process that introduces the same type
of error potential. To do so, merely expands the opportunity for this kind of
error to pass farther into the process. As a working histologist, I do wish
that people would not be so afraid of technology in our field, and use it to
improve and update histology processes.More education is needed! So keep
posting this type of information. Only by incorporating this aspect will the
field be able to move forward and keep pace with the other areas of the
laboratory and medical practice in general.

Joelle Weaver HTL (ASCP)