Hi Boma:

Whether or not a saline or buffer flush was used before glut. fixation is of little consequence to the effects of glut as a fixative.The saline/buffer washout is just to remove blood. In my experience most people overdo the washout. I am curious as to what "disrupt the blood-brain barrier" means. The bbb is a very complex entity with both physical and metabolic components.I suspect the person who told you this is not well informed.

Geoff

Boma Fubara wrote:
Can someone explain to me the mechanism by which glutaraldehyde would disrupt the blood brain barrier if the brain had not been flushed prior to fixation?

Boma.

Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.
Neuroscience and Cell Biology
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School