Take some paraffin into the mould, then grab your tissue, press it to the bottom, hold it and get onto cooling plate. Wait a few seconds for the paraffin to start getting solid, then fill up with hot paraffin. I use this "technique" everyday.

Ryan McAdams wrote:
I am trying to embed adult rat aortas in paraffin for histology purposes.
Do you have any recommendations on an optimal method to keep the aortas in a
vertical position while the paraffin solidifies?  I am hoping to do
transverse sectioning of the thoracic aortas to analyze wall thickness.
Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan McAdams

Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Neonatology University of Washington

Box 356320 Seattle, WA 98195-6320

Telephone: (206)-616-8246