My recommendation to you is to focus on your undemineralized bone sections embedded in MMA. These sections will provide you with the most information.

If you do a Goldners stain you can very accurately measure BV/TV and clearly quantitate osteoid volume. Bone will stain green from the SF yellowish staining and osteoid red with the acid fuchsin/ponceau. I feel the only limitation with this stain is clearly assessing your bone cells.

If you stain with a Von Kossa/MacNeal's tetrachrome you can achieve the above (bone = black, osteoid = greyish-green) and you can also clearly assess osteoblast (blue) activity. This stain also helps to identify osteoclast presence but hard to accurately determine activity without a TRAP stain follow up.

Write me back with any additional questions you may have and when I get to the lab I will forward you a couple of protocols and additional information!

Best,

Jack

Sent from my iPhone