Lead and barium should end up as their insoluble phosphates in tissues fixed in
phosphate-buffered formaldehyde.

There are published methods (Pearse's Histochemistry 4th ed Vol 2 [1985]; also
in earlier editions, not much different). According to DJ Cook "Cellular
Pathology" 2nd ed. Scion 2006, p.174, "It is rare that there is sufficient lead
in a normal person to be detectable by histochemical methods. The most
sensitive method of detection is the sodium rhodizonate method, which produces
a red chelate with lead ions." Barium, strontium and mercury also have red
complexes with rhodizonate. Lillie & Fullmer "Histopathologic Technic" 4th ed
(1976) pp.547-8 suggest prior treatments to remove salts of Ba and other
metals, and adjustment of pH of the rhodizonate solution to enhance specificity
for certain metals. My limited experience of staining with rhodizonate for Pb
in lab animal tissues (long ago) was rather disappointing, with the result
being brownish rather than bright red.

I suspect that histochemical staining with rhodizonate for exogenous metals
like Ba, Pb, Hg etc is mainly a histochemical curiosity, or am I mistaken?  If
anyone reading this has significant experience with rhodizonate I would urge
them to publish an account, with hints on how to obtain good results every
time. I'm sure the Journal of Histotechnology or Biotechnic & Histochemistry
would appreciate a good paper on the subject!

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
= = =