Hello all,

We have always used absolute alcohol to decontaminate our cryostat and wondered
what others use.  This has been brought up by an article in the September issue
of CAP Today that talks about biosafety when doing frozens (specifically talks
about TB).  As a related question, how many institutions require the wearing on
an N95 respirator when doing frozens?

The article states that diluted alcohol is more effective "because the presence
of water causes proteins to denature more quickly."  I just did the
decontamination of our cryostat last weekend and used 70% alcohol as the
article suggested.  The alcohol evaporated and I was left with beads/drops of
water that I had to then dry by hand.  I guess the alternative would be is just
to go over it again with aboslute after usiing 70%.

The article goes on to recommend that personnel should wear N95 masks that are
fit tested on a yearly basis.

Thanks in advance.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator