Hi Everyone
We have excellent news......!! we have just received this update from the New
York State Office of Professions regarding the examination procedures and
eligibility for licensing in NYS, Please see below.
Since this is "hot off the press" information, I am sure there will be
questions but please be patient as the procedures are formally written and
posted on the website (http://www.op.nysed.gov/).  For those of you who want to
be updated regularly on whats going on in NY, please join the New York State
Histotechnological Society message board
at: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSHS1972/ If you have questions
regarding licensing in NYS please feel free to contact us by email.
Regards
Luis Chiriboga & Amy Farnan,  NYSHS Legislative Committee

-------

Within the past few weeks, our contract with ASCP for our candidates to use the
ASCP exam for licensure as a certified histological technician has been
approved by the State Comptroller and we have begun to implement the use of
this examination.  Applicants for licensure as certified histological
technician will use the same examination, during the five year period for the
contract, as is used by ASCP for their certification purposes.  But, these are
separate procedures.  Applicants for licensure pay the fee for the exam that is
established by our contract, have scores reported directly to us, and have the
right to take the examination as often as needed.  The same persons may also
want a certificate from ASCP.  If so, they will have to apply to ASCP for this
certificate, pay their fee, meet their requirements, and take the examination
according to their specifications.  These are totally separate processes.  We
simply contract for the examination
 and do not endorse the ASCP certification.

For persons who have applied for this license recently, we may have issued a
limited permit and they will have to take the examination prior to licensure
during the one year period that the permit is valid.  There are also some
persons who have received a limited license as a certified histological
technician.  These persons will have to meet not only the examination, but the
full education requirements.

For those persons who hold a limited permit and did take and pass the
examination after September 1, 2001, their examination results may be used for
licensure purposes and they will not have to retake the examination.  Anyone
who took the examination prior to September 1, 2001 will have to take the
examination now for it to be used for licensure.  We have received a number of
score reports from ASCP on applicants who now hold a limited permit, and we
will now be processing the applications for licensure, as long as all
requirements are met.

Finally, a note on another topic.  There are many persons who work as
histological technicians who were originally licensed as certified clinical
laboratory technicians and who may also be licensed as certified histological
technicians.  The reregistration period for the license as a certified clinical
laboratory technician may now be expiring.  These person have the choice of
reregistering as a certified clinical laboratory technician or placing that
registration in an "inactive status," (and they must inform us if that is their
intention) or of maintaining both registrations, or of placing their
registration, when it comes up, on an "inactive status."  Both licenses will
continue unexpired for life unless removed by disciplinary action, but the
person may only practice in the areas authorized under the scope of the
profession in which they are licensed and registered.  The scope of both
licenses authorize the practice of histological technician.

Kathleen

Dr. Kathleen M. Doyle
Executive Secretary
kdoy...@mail.nysed.gov
518-474-3817, ext. 150

-------
Luis Chiriboga Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Vice President New York State Histotechnological Society
NYSHS Website
www.nyhisto.org
NYSHS Message Board
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSHS1972/