I pack slides in 100-slide plastic boxes, with gauze sponges laid inside the boxes on top of slide edges to ensure that they don't jiggle around inside the box. Boxes are taped shut, then packed inside a cardboard box with plenty of room for packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Never have had a problem.

Jan Shivers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicole Collette" <collet...@mail.llnl.gov>
To: <histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 12:28 PM
Subject: [Histonet] shipping slides, elementary question

Happy Friday everyone,

I have a very basic question about shipping slides (mouse tissue, non-biohaz). I am planning to ship a bunch to a collaborator, on the order of a few hundred. I have black hinged cardboard/wood 100-slide boxes, similar to

https://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=48452-001&inE=1&highlight=48452-001

will these be sufficient for shipping (provided I ensure they stay closed during transit) to avoid breakage? I have slide mailers, but they only hold a few slides. I will do that if I need to (it would be a whole lot of packaging and labeling though...), but don't want to just send a giant box and have them all broken on the other end. Maybe there's another alternative? I'm sure someone on histonet has done this before :)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sincerely,
Nicole Collette
Lawrence Livermore National Lab/ UC Berkeley
collet...@llnl.gov