I work with bone samples trimmed to approx 35mmx35mmx4mm. Our general procedure
is:

Fixation:
untrimmed samples stored in 10% NBF @4°C until trimming. Slices placed in fresh
10% NBF for at least 12h.

Decalcification
Benchtop - 10% formic acid for 10 days (change soln every 3 days), rinse for
minimum 1-2 hours. Then 10% EDTA solution for 2-3 weeks (change weekly). The
time in formic acid is limited at 10 days to prevent excess damage to
tissue/loss of nuclear staining. The EDTA is a chelating agent and is slower at
decalcifying tissue but does little damage.
Microwave processor - 3 days in 10% formic acid @35°C, rinse as above, then 3
days in 10% EDTA @35°C.
For both methods I recommend placing a layer of empty cassettes at the bottom
of you container to allow solution to circulate under samples. After the EDTA
step, it is VITAL that samples are rinsed for at least 3 hours to remove any
remainng salts. These precipitate during processing and make sectioning very
difficult. You may need to leave samples longer in EDTA depending on their
size. There are various methods in text books for determining decalcification
end point. We have a MicroCT scanner so just do a quick xray scan to check our
samples.

Processing.
We have a  Sakura Tissue Tek 5. Samples processed for 5 hours each  through
50%, 70%, 90% and 3x100% Ethanol/IMS. Then 4 hours x3 changes for chloroform,
then 2 hours x4 changes of wax.

Sectioning
Make sure block are well chilled. Some samples may need soaking in water to get
good sections. We trim in samples then place face down on a melting ice block
whilst trimming in the other samples. This means our samples soak and chill at
the same time. If you get small areas of mineral left, you can perform surface
decal with 10% fromic acid.

Hope this points you in the right direction. If you can, try and go to this
years NSH convention. Lots of very helpful people there, especially the Hard
Tissue Committee. Best of luck.

Andrew Prior
Histologist
Smith &Nephew Research Centre