Hi:

Have you considered the possibility that there is something wrong with
the microtome?  Sadly equipment that is "inherited" can have issues.

Perhaps a good cleaning is in order -

By the way, what the make/model of the tome?  I have a couple of B&L's
that are available for a trade --;-)

Later -

Mike
Rio Grande Biological