Hello everyone,

I am trying to stain for cartilage in mouse skull (cross-sectioning with
the brain in tact) and wanted to know if anyone might have a good
protocol for Safranin O / Fast green or Safranin O / von Kossa? The
tissue is embedded in MMA and was cut on a saw microtome and finished
down to an approximate 20 to 30 micron tissue thickness - 50 microns
including the glue layer (I glue a slide to the block before making the
cut and then grind and polish to finish). I tried Weigert's hematoxylin
/ Safranin O / Fast Green ( I began with Weigert's Hematoxylin, followed
by Fast Green and finished with Safranin O), but the Safranin O seemed
to overpower the Fast Green (the calcified bone stained more red than
green). Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated as always.
Thanks again.

Jim