Allison Hutton asks:

>>We had a question come up regarding giving patients back their placentas
>>(patient's request) after delivery.  Our general rule is not to return
>>tissues, except for religious reasons. We are now trying to come up with a
>>concrete SOP for (or not) returning tissues. I was curious what other
>>institutions are doing in regards to this topic. I know laws vary by location
>>but I am looking for a general idea.<<

This is a complicated topic. There's a bizarre fad out there for
women's eating their babies' placentas. Obviously they don't want them
fixed in formalin. I actually had such a request once.

Highly observant Jews may require burial of resected tissue in a
Jewish cemetery, and native Americans may have similar requirements.
I've also had requests for return of amputated limbs for burial in a
rural family cemetery. Requests like this are best handled with the
help of a funeral director.

I think the Joint Commission (or whatever they're called this week)
has banned souvenir gallstones and tonsils.

Remember if you simply must hand a patient fixed tissue, transfer it
from formaldehyde to 70% alcohol - much less toxic.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN