I have had folding and bubbles occur periodically with PFA fixed, sucrose
cryoprotected frozen brain tissue I receive from other labs. I streak a
distilled water moistened brush across the slide then pick up the frozen
section on the moistened area. It comes out flat and smooth every time. I let
the section dry as usual, then store in -20°C or -80°C.  For ISH I use a RNase
zapped and DEPC rinsed brush and streak DEPC water across the slide with the
moistened brush. I section the PFA fixed, sucrose cryoprotected tissue around
-21°C. Researchers report good subsequent IHC and ISH results and bring more
samples.

Donna J. Emge, ASCP-HT
Mouse Histology and Phenotyping Laboratory Manager
Northwestern University
Olson Pavilion 8-333
710 North Fairbanks Court
Chicago, IL  60611