Interesting thread about block alignment.  Bernice makes a good point about
Newcomer's level, and the possible effects of benchtop or floor not being
level; perhaps the stage-mounted tools are preferable.  We have a stage-mounted
tool, which brings me to another point.

Before this type of tool was invented, we used a block of wax, no tissue, for
alignment.  This required some eye-balling and often subsequent adjustment of
the head.  This was a skill learned by experience and practice, as most skills
are.  The results were usually good.

Now that we have Leica RM2255 motorized microtomes, I find their method of
aligning the block to be excellent, with red cylinders showing aligned or not
on both axes.

We receive many cases from referring hospitals for subsequent IHC in our
laboratory.  Many of these blocks contain very thin biopsies which have already
been cut.  At this point, when microtomy for IHC begins, the alignment almost
inevitably has to be adjusted.  This takes us back to the eye-balling mentioned
earlier, and very careful initial turns of the wheel to gauge proper alignment
and not waste tissue.

But in terms of daily microtomy of just-embedded blocks, either the Leica
microtome method or the block alignment tool will go a long way to ensuring
that all microtomes are as closely aligned as possible.  They all rely on
proper training and experience to ensure this.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada