Dear J,

I agree with Rene Busa on his assessment that thawing and refreezing is very
very bad for your epitopes. You don't do it with antibodies, you don't want to
do it with your antigens either. Keep the slides you will not need frozen,
taking out only what will be needed. Work quickly as exposure to the air will
start the condensation process.

I also agree that there does not need to be an ethanol rehydration step. That
might be useful as a permeabilization step, but you only need to hydrate your
tissue with buffer. You might not have realized that alcohol can permeabilize
cells (even though they are already exposed through sectioning) and also affect
the protein folding, so if your antibodies are already working using this
scheme you might see a difference if you quit doing it. You also might not, so
it could be useful to test it.

As to whether to use heat to thaw, you can try putting the slides in front of
fans at room temperature, or you can try fan forced ovens set at 25 or even 37
degrees if you are worried about heat. I have worked with a researcher who used
unfixed cryosections of brain and put them in a 95 degree oven for 2 minutes
prior to freezer storage. They were still able to get antibody and mRNA
staining from their sample. I have also read accounts of people using a hair
dryer (blow dryer) on the heat setting on them as well with no ill effect on
their published studies. Who is to say they might have had to try multiple
antibodies to find one that would work under those conditions?

The only way to know if heat or other conditions will negatively affect your
target protein is to test it empirically.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752