Hello all,

Earlier today I had a VERY tiny sample from the esophogus. When I say it was
tiny, it looked to be only a few microns in thickness. It was inside of, you
guessed it,
a teabag! :) But that wasn't the problem, as it was appropriate in this case to
be put in a teabag because of the size. When I pulled it out of the cassette, I
had to go over it very carefully to even find it. It's sad that I know of a not
insignificant number of people who wouldn't have taken the time to find it and
most likely have dispositioned it as not surviving processing or no tissue
found, but that is another issue. I'm sure the patient would appreciate the
extra effort.

I know of a few techniques to make tissue, and specifically tiny or fatty
tissue, more easily visible in cases like these. For example, I've seen using a
different colored wax or putting eosin in the alcohol during processing.  What
do some of you guys do?

www.HistoCare.com
Histology Staffing