Histology is going to have a huge manual component for a long time. Even though
embedding has been automated to a certain extent it has not been accepted by
many...yet. Automated sectioning is a long way off - and who would have the
money to buy sectioning robots that could do as well as a human? Would it even
be cost effective (and that IS the question!)?

Much of this could be made much easier by proper application of
grossing/processing/embedding procedures. But we can't even get pathologists to
agree how long any particular tissue should be fixed - no matter what the
literature says. Good luck standardizing grossing and tissue processing across
a single large department, let alone the entire industry (though I know Bill
has done wonders with this in his company). Simply due to that lack of
standardization manual work will be with us for a LONG time since every block
requires individual care and decision making by the person sectioning it.

IHC is bread and butter to the lab now. ISH is coming along but still too rare
to make much money off of it, if any at all. I don't think we do much more of
it percentage wise than 20 years ago.

The best IHC techs take interest in the cases, learn what the antibodies are
for and pay attention to the staining they get (if they have time before the
TAT deadline!).  They do research on diseases and can converse with pathologist
about the results.

Molecular methods (ie, DNA/RNA, besides ISH) is quite different than histology.
Completely different training required, though I have no doubt histotechs could
do it, why would they hire a histotech when there are umpteen biochemists
applying for every biology job advertised (including histology!!)?

Digital pathology is still "promising," just as it was 10 years ago, and will
be "promising" 5 or 10 years from now unless a technology comes along to scan
slides FAST - ie 10 seconds, not 5 minutes. Maybe someone will adapt the Lytro
Light Field Camera to slide scanning. Seems a perfect match (google it!).

Barcoding is on the way in. We are going to have a system by June 2013. But it
is in the growing stage and there are lots of tradeoffs. The hardware has just
become available in the last 5 years to make it reliable. Now the vendors have
to get going. Some have with great systems  - Ventana, possibly Leica,
Omnitrax. The LIS vendors have fallen flat on their faces on this - totally
missed the boat and ceded the specimen tracking space to histology and IHC
vendors. Shows what happens when your company is too big and you don't pay
attention to the possibilities. As recently as 3 years ago I had an LIS vendor
technical person ask me what on earth I would use bar coding for in histology.
I hope that guy has been fired by now for ignorance!

Of course one huge disadvantage to having histology and IHC vendors providing
barcoding/tracking systems is some want to limit your choices to their
instruments. That is a big bugaboo right now. But I understand Clinical
Chemistry is dealing with the same issue - instrument vendors forcing certain
parameters on the lab.

Training of histotechs is and always will be a problem. 95+% of histotechs are
trained OJT. I think there is only one program on the west coast. So, for the
most part forget formally trained techs (and those that are formally trained
should make the most of it!). It is all dependent on individual initiative and
the training skill of the lab managers they work for. NSH is doing a pretty
good job - and I only say that because while the various meetings are great,
only a small percentage attend. The vast majority of histotechs don't ever get
outside training, either because they don't know about it, don't have the
money, or their labs don't promote it.  A lot of techs work in labs whose
managers consider advancement a bad thing - train a tech and they look for
better pay elsewhere. How do you counter those types?

Most pathologists trained these days are clueless about histology and aren't
concerned about  much else beyond ordering and getting their slides. Histology
is a black box to them.  They wouldn't have a clue how to train a histotech if
they had to.

All I can say on this is that everyone has to take care of themselves and their
own advancement first. Hopefully those same people will see the value of
training others in any way they can and promoting getting more involved with
the entire system.

Tim Morken