A brain artifact (vacuoles in the white matter) was noted in rat brain after
extended fixation.  An experiment showed that rat brains fixed in 10% neutral
buffered formalin for 4, 10, 15, 20, or 25 days showed a progression of this
artifact starting minimally at day 10 and getting progressively more prominent
through day 25.  The tissue processing schedule was standard throughout.  The
brains stayed in the same formalin through the fixation period.  Have others
experienced this artifact.  I'm familiar with alcohol causing a similar
artifact but have others observed a vacuole artifact in the white matter of
brain with formalin fixation?  Has my fixative deteriorated, if so, how and
what is the chemical effect?

Kim Kowsz
kim.p.ko...@pfizer.com<mailto:kim.p.ko...@pfizer.com>

Pfizer Internal Use