Dear histoneters,
We got mice brains that were initially sucrose-cryoprotected and then embedded in OCT - flash frozen and stored at -80°C. These tissues were initially prepared for subsequent cryostat sectioning but due to technical considerations we need to cut them using a sliding microtome to get thick (40µm) floating sections. We therefore would like to remove OCT before cutting. As OCT is water soluble it is expected that placing the OCT blocks in buffer would help removing the embedding media but thawing the tissue and then re-freezing it on the microtome stage might not be the best way to proceed (expected formation of ice crystals with known associated histological artefacts)...
We would appreciate any alternative solutions. Thanks!
Benoît