Dear Histonetter,

I am having an issue getting rid of wrinkles on sections from 4% glutaraldehyde
fixed paraffin embedded ocular tissue. The laboratory's tissue of interest is
the retina, and I use glut to avoid retinal detachment (this is mainly on
tissue that won't be immunostained). I normally section at 5µm, and fix the
tissue 1 or 2 days. I set the water bath at a temperature that is 5-10 C below
the wax melting point. I have tried adding ethyl alcohol to the water and the
wrinkles remain—or takes very long for most of them to be gone. I have tried
placing the sections  in a 1:15 mix of ethanol and water—and have also tried
30% ethanol in water, both at RT, before placing the sections on the water
bath; when I do this, the sections separate abruptly (once in the water bath)
from the slide I use for transferring the tissue, causing tissue layer
separation. When I work with 10% formalin, the section wrinkles disappear
nicely in the water bath that contains water and a bit ethanol. Nonetheless,
when it comes to 4% glut it just does not work.

Any input in troubleshooting this is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Ricardo Leyva
(858) 822-1629
rle...@ucsd.edu