Personally I love the Prisma for volume and the tape. I know many have bad
opinions, but I wish I had both the Prisma and the tape right now! I have never
seen any problems with very old ( 15+ year) slides. using the tape.  Not saying
it can't happen-but have not personally seen it. The tape is easier to get off
if you need to versus old glass CS, just use acetone, acetone/xylene, xylene.
Comes off in a gel form and slides right off leaving the tissue intact.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC

> From: ro...@labcorp.com
> To: pat...@gmail.com; histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 12:18:46 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] H&E Stainer Question
>
> Paula
> Here are my two cents....
>
> I currently use a Leica Autostainer XL with attached glass coverslipper.  It
> is consistent in its staining and easy to use.  The downfall is if you are a
> large volume lab or just have large volume days, each staining rack holds 30
> slides and only one rack can be stained in each batch. The stainer also only
> has one on board oven, so the throughput of this machine is fairly low.  It
> is only staining 30 slides at a time, with one holding station for the next
> set.  It will run multiple batches concurrently, but gets to a point where it
> is all backed up.  We sometimes have 2 racks staining, one in the oven, one
> in the loading dock, and some sitting on top of the stainer until it can go
> on.
>
> On the flip side, the Sakura Prisma is a workhorse.  It is very similar to
> the Leica in the sense that it is linear and very consistent in staining.  It
> has two on board ovens and each basket can hold 20 slides.  The difference is
> that the Sakura can stain 3 racks (60 slides) per batch, with two batches in
> the oven at the same time.  That gives you 120 slide throughput for each
> batch.  This stainer also has an attached coverslipper (Sakura Film), but it
> is film coverslips.  I know, I know.....no one likes the film coverslips.
> One advantage to the film, is that the slides are dry almost immediately and
> can be filed away the same day.  No waiting for 3-4 days for the glass ones
> to fully cure.  I can say that the last lab I worked in had the film
> coverslips and after 10 years, the slides were still in pristine condition.
> There are many pathologists that do not like to read film covered slides, but
> once ours got used to it, they had no problems.  Some say the film yellows or
> comes of
 f with the tissue still attached.  I can say that I never seen this in my past
position.  It is very dependent on Xylene only during coverslipping.  You
cannot use a xylene substitute in the coverslip portion and expect to get good
results.