One of my techs has asked about a practice that we have been doing for some
time.   Occasionally we find that we are doing something just because it has
been done in the past and as we all know sometimes we get bogged down with
things that are just not necessary.
When we order chemicals such as alcohols, clarifier, bluing, hematoxylin, etc.
 each chemical with their lot number and expiration date is listed in a log
book.  Of course we also date the container when we receive each chemical and
we also make sure that all of the chemicals are used within expiration dates.

The question is whether it is really necessary to keep a log of information
besides what is written on the container.      In addition we are a new lab and
have started to do some special stains inhouse in the lab.  (PAS, PAS for
fungus, AFB)   We started with purchasing kits and have now simply ordered the
chemicals in bulk.   Do we need to test each lot of chemical that we use for
the stains?  We run a control with every run and I don't feel it is necessary
to test the chemicals additionally.   One of the companies we ordered the stain
kit from sent us control test slides and my tech wondered if we should run one
of the control test slides before we used the kit.  I know that in IHC staining
there are rules for using, testing, comparing with previous lots,etc. for kits
however since we are going to use bulk chemicals and we run a control each time
I don't want to do extra unnecessary work.

It also seems to me that over the years the CAP questions governing routine
special staining has been reduced more and more.    At this point we don't run
any IHC stains and therefore I am not worried about detections kits, new lots
of antibodies, etc.   Just need to know what most do with special stain
chemicals.

I would appreciate your thoughts before we continue our practice or scale down
some of the documentation.

Jim

Jim Vickroy
Histology Manager
Springfield Clinic, Main Campus, East Building
1025 South 6th Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
Office:  217-528-7541, Ext. 15121
Email:  jvick...@springfieldclinic.com<mailto:jvick...@springfieldclinic.com>

This electronic message contains information from Springfield Clinic, LLP that
may be confidential, privileged, and/or sensitive. This information is intended
for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution, or action
taken on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender
immediately, by electronic mail, so that arrangements may be made for the
retrieval of this electronic message. Thank you.