We have used the older version Slidemate slide labelers from Thermofisher for
the last three years.   I think putting the patient information directly on the
slide is preferred however the wear and tear on slide printers means higher
maintenance costs and more down time.  Thermofisher has a newer version of the
Slidemate now that has been designed so that there is less wear and tear on the
machines.   Currently when one of the old labelers breaks down we have to send
the instrument out and the cost is generally 1000 - 1500 for repair each time.
  It also seems that the older machines have to be sent in at least every other
year.  Our older machines have been sent in almost yearly.

We are considering switching to a slide label making system by General Data.
One of the downsides is that we have to apply the label to each slide so
therefore we introduce another step where the slides could be mislabeled.   The
upside is that equipment costs are much less.   A new thermal label printer
runs around 700.00 where as the instrument that imprints the slide label on the
slide runs between 12000 - 15000 per unit.  We need three units.
Thermo also offers a lease system.    What I need to know is what has been the
experience with the new Slidemate AS printers?   What kind of maintenance
issues have you encountered? Finally please let me know your latest experiences
with both slide label printers versus slide labeling printers?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Jim Vickroy
Histology Manager
Springfield Clinic, Main Campus, East Building
1025 South 6th Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
Office:  217-528-7541, Ext. 15121
Email:  jvick...@springfieldclinic.com<mailto:jvick...@springfieldclinic.com>

This electronic message contains information from Springfield Clinic, LLP that
may be confidential, privileged, and/or sensitive. This information is intended
for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution, or action
taken on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender
immediately, by electronic mail, so that arrangements may be made for the
retrieval of this electronic message. Thank you.