Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions:

  1.  Could someone please share some ways to keep track of the control that
goes with the slides that it was used for?  So I am a small GI lab and there is
a pathologist here a couple days a week.  We do trichrome on Microscopic
colitis cases and so I have been batching the trichromes because it's a long
stain to do by hand and it's a lot easier to do it that way. But my slides are
automatically printed for me and they have the date on them that the specimen
was entered into the system.  I cut the slide but then hold it until I am ready
to do the stain.  I put a date on the trichrome control slide but it of course
does not match the date on the patient slides because they have been held for a
few days.  Is this something I even need to worry about?  So far I have just
been writing down the date that I stain the patient slide on a log sheet but I
am trying to minimize the amount of paperwork/manual logging.

  1.  We recently got a accessioning system and I can now pull the number of
blocks and stains done each day.  Do I need to still keep writing down in my
log sheet the number of blocks and stains?  Do I need to print out the report
that has the numbers and file it or since I have the ability to pull it from
the system, I don't need to have physical logs.

I am just trying to minimize as much manual logging and paperwork as possible!
Thanks in Advance!!!

Tasha Campbell, B.S.,HTL(ASCP)
Frederick Gastroenterology Associates
310 W. 9th St.