Diff Quick appears to be a modified Field's stain. The blue dye in the methanol is one of the modifications. Field's stain gives much the same staining, so using plain methanol should be of no concern. The simplest way to find out is surely to try it and see.

http://stainsfile.info/stain/micro/field.htm

Bryan Llewellyn

Corbin, Clay via Histonet wrote:
Hey folks,
I am shopping for a diff-quick kit.  However, all I really need is the
fixative.  Generally, there is a blue stain (triarylmethane) added to the
methanol in the fixative solution.  I have a giant jug of lab grade methanol.
What would I lose by using methanol alone compared to the fixative solution
included in a diff-quick kit?
Thanks!
Clay

Clay Corbin, PhD